Lets finish this one
I remember stumbling upon this manga during my 8th grade year in Middle School, ah good times, good times. I was an A student back then, and now i’m an average student in an All Boys, All Honors school. I’ve read this thing from beginning to the recent chapters. I loved this manga, why? It has humor, it has great characters, a suprisingly nice drama. I also introduced this manga to Genesis who loved it as well.
Hayate no Gotoku tells the story of Ayasaki Hayate. Probably the most oblivious, and most unluckiest guy ever (in some terms). Instead of attending high school, he works at the expense of his greedy parents. During one of his day jobs, he gets fired after lying about his age. When his former boss says that he mailed his check to his house, Hayate just knows that his parents are going to use it all for gambling. Hayate returns to his house to find that his money has been spent and that his parents have sold his organs to the Yakuza. Immediatley after finishing the letter, the Yakuza arrive to harvest Hayate’s organs. Hayate (due to his years of work, his body is extremely durable) runs away. Hayate then realizes that the good never wins, he must delve to be a criminal to achieve anything, the bad thing is, this kid is the nicest kid ever. He spots a lone girl. And seeing that she has an expensive looking cloths, he decides to kidnap her and ask for ransom. He approaches the girl, tells her that he loves her and asks her for her number. He escapes and goes to a phonebooth and calls the number, and then he accidentally tells the person on the other line, his name. Hayate now thoroughly depressed tries to committ suicide but instead he gets run over by a bicycle. The person who was riding the bicycle apologizes and helps him. Then she mentions a girl named Nagi, the girl who Hayate met earlier. She just happened to get kidnapped. Hayate borrowing the bike from the lady crashes into the kidnapper’s car and recsues Nagi. Hayate passes out, Nagi happens to be one of richest people in Japan, the lady with the bike was Maria, Nagi’s maid. Nagi decides to hire Hayate as her butler.
Thats what happens in the first chapter. From there, Hayate gets tangled in the world of love and spoiled kids. Hayate meets like 12-20 girls in the short period of 4 months. Yeah, 300+ chapters in 4 months.
8 Girls above like Hayate.
You might have noticed, theres another guy. He is Wataru, one of the few important male characters.
In the beginning, it was slight romantic comedy. Now theres drama, romance and comedy.
I don’t want to go into story because i don’t know where to begin but heres the sped up version
- Hayate meets like a bazillion girls, 1/3 find him very, likeable
- Hayate is liked by Nagi Sanzenin, the blonde girl with pigtails and Ayumu Nishizawa, the purple haired girl with pigtails
- Maria, the maid Izumi Segawa, the girl on the right in the flying box and Sakuya Aizawa with the gray/green hair and Isumi Saginomiya like Hayate but as much as the above
- Katsura Hinagiku (the fan favorite) meets Hayate, she falls in love after a few meetings. Realizes her love when http://www.mangareader.net/203-13576-10/hayate-the-combat-butler/chapter-98.html happens. She has a fear of heights. She is the student council president for a prestigous school. Her office is at the top of the clock tower but she never looks outside. On her birthday, Hayate helps her get over this. Now if you read it, then what i just said will seem a lot more dramatic.
- Hayate’s past is revealed, it is revealed how he is so damn strong even for a femenine looking guy. It was his first girlfriend who made him strong and courteous. Big screw up happens which seperate Hayate and his girlfriend, Athena
- The cast decide to go to Greece for Goldenweek (Japanese Holiday)
- Hayate sees Athena for the first time in 10 years (Hayate is 17-18, he had a girlfriend when he was 7? that bastard)
- Athena has an ulterior motif, something to do with a castle where they used to live
- Athena pretends not to remember Hayate and pushes him aside
- Hayate gloomily has a date with Hinagiku, seeing him depressed makes her kinda depressed too
- Hayate explains his story with Athena and then is told by Hina to after her
- After some chapters with nailbiting by me (because each chapter came out each week, god i hated waiting)
- Hayate finally confronts Athena, she admits that she remembers him. Some shit happens, he gets rescued by Isumi (girl with kimono)
- The royal jewel which Hayate has is the key to free Athena out of this demon, i have no idea but hey, it had some supernatural stuff happen
- They break the jewel and once again meet Athena
- Fight enues, they win, Athena and Hayate reunite, yay yay,
- Athena says that Hayate’s is good as is and she doesn’t want to get in the way. The cast leaves for Japan after all this. Athena then says she will go back to Japan too
- The Royal Jewel was basically the inheritance Nagi would recieve (shes stinking rich), because of the jewels destruction, she loses the mansion
- Nagi, Maria, and Hayate now reside in a apartment complex with a few more characters, actually i think just one
Read the damn manga, i can summarize most of the non-important chapters but the important ones you should probably read. Also, if you have read up to Athena’s story, then the background for the first picture might seem familiar
Currently Nagi’s arc just ended, and Athena enters the picture
Other than that, i have nothing to say, great story, comedy, drama and romance. But it takes time for the romance to settle in. I also have to note the artwork. The beginning artwork like i posted above where like the first 50 chapters or so, its been a while since i read the first 50-100 but now the artwork has changed… A LOT. Also another reason why i like this: It’s a harem manga/anime (harem basically, girls outnumbering guys or vice versa) yet, the fanservice is kept to an minimum, and they give shots like the one below for wallpapers and such. Not bad, considering the reviews before this post.
What needs to be said by me, is basically said in the review 😀