D.Gray-Man is an anime/manga based on a war between humans and akuma (demons).
The story is mostly about Allen Walker and what he goes through as an Exorcist (someone who is a apostle of god). Exorcists are the people who are synchronized with innocence ( a.k.a. Anti-Akuma weapon) and fight the Akuma. All Exorcists are within the Black Order (the GOOD side) and all Akuma are under control of the Noah and the Millennium Earl (who is in control of the Noah as well= BAD). Also within the Black Order you got: Science Division, Finders (they investigate stuff that might be involved with innocence and some other stuff), Cooking, and Medical. K NOW THT IS DONE I CAN START THE REVIEW!!!
Allen Walker was born with innocence inside is left hand. The innocence made his arm deformed and because of this he was abandoned as a child. He was founded by Mana Walker who then took Allen in and raised him. When Mana dies not very long after forming a father/son bond, Allen starts to mourn. LESSON: Mourning= Visit from the Earl who offers to bring said loved one back= level 0 Akuma= akuma ordered to kill the one who mourned. Got it? What happened in that lesson is basically what happened to Allen except: Mana (the level 0 Akuma) cursed Allen’s left eye so that he will see an Akuma’s suffering soul, Allen’s left arm forms into a weapon after Mana (akuma can’t restrain themselves when ordered) attacks, and Allen destroys the akuma and sets Mana’s soul free. This is very traumatic to Allen and manages to turn Allen’s hair from brown to white. During this he meets General Cross (one of the strongest exorcists in the black order) and becomes his apprentice which is around where Allen starts to become an exorcist.
Anyway being the “GREAT” master General Cross is… after a few years of training he knocks Allen out and disappears leaving Allen to figure where the Black Order is on his own. When Allen finds the Black Order he is introduced to the craziness right away.
These are some of the exorcists:
Kanda: Kanda is the First Person Allen meets, and immediately they don’t get along. He is cold and arrogant to everyone and pretends not to care. He also keeps stating that he wont die easily. He has fast healing abilities. (wasn’t shown in anime but if you read manga you will find out why)
Lenalee: She has bad history with innocence. When she was little and the innocence chose her and the Black Order took her away from Komui (her brother) and locked her up in her room until she would stop trying to kill herself or running away. When her Brother became Chief she stayed by his side whenever she could until she accepted the order as her home more and more.
Komui: The only reason he stays at the order is for Lenalee. He is very protective over her which can be funny and serious at some points. (not exorcist XP)
Miranda: She has some issues with bad luck… her innocence more defense then offense. After the rewinding town arc you don’t see her again until the around the edo arc (long time) after she finished her training.
Lavi & Bookman: Bookman isn’t shown in the pic at the top but he and Lavi basically record the events of the world. They joined the Order to record more on the war. Lavi have 48 other names. His latest one being Deke. He will succeed Bookman and is sometimes called Jr. He also wears an eye patch and i’m not sure of the reason, but it’s not injury related.
Krory: Fell in love with an Akuma with out knowing it. Allen and Lavi went to investigate where he lived when they heard he was a vampire (which he is kinda) but it was revealed (even to Krory) that he only drinks Akuma blood *thx to innocence* (if your wondering about how he didn’t know, its that Akuma can wear the skins of those they kill). He later kills the akuma he loves (Eliade) after she tries to kill him, Lavi, and Allen. He can be very naive.
The REAL conflict starts when one of the 5 generals (the General that died isn’t in the pic above, sorry) is murdered by the Noah of pleasure, Tykii, and the Noah of Dreams, Road. So Allen and the other exorcists must recover the other 4 generals before something happens to them. Which means they have to hunt down Cross as well. During this the series goes on a little roller-coaster of emotions. Basically 75% of the time you will feel either intrigued, happy, or laughing. the other 25% of the times its pretty dang depressing. The series is really great though. It has a great plot and good pacing. The only thing that sucks is that it was canceled due to budgeting and not enough viewers, and that the ending was kinda depressing as well (plus it left me confused). The anime has a total of 103 episodes ( lol it was worth it) and the manga is still on going (its a monthly)
(i loved all of the openings so it was hard to choose X.x)
>.< i wish this anime wasn’t canceled! (then rest of what i have to say is in the review ^_^)